Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Mr. Bill Goes To Boston

Now that's what I call a speech! He was animated, he was self-deprecating, he was effusive, and he was right on the money. Bill Clinton gave a hell of a speech last night no matter what your political stripes are. When I heard Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop Thinking About Tommorrow", I have to admit, a few tears welled up and I got a big ole lump in my throat. Back in '92, when I was a 21 year old hipster, I thought that was an awful campaign song. Now, it represents, at least to me, the optimism and hopefulness of that time. The first baby-boom president, the first rock-n-roll politician. Those were heady times.
Now, no one will confuse John Kerry with being a rock-n-roll president, if elected, but the optimism is still there. The hopefulness is still there. These are themes the Democrats would do well to keep at the forefront. I have to say though the best line of the evening didn't belong to Bill Clinton, but rather Al Gore, when he said, "...every little boy and girl can grow up and win the popular vote one day..." That and "... I don't want you to think that I lie in bed at night, counting and recounting sheep."
I'm really looking forward to hearing Barack Obama from Chicago speak tonight. He's running for the senate, and if elected, will be the first African-American to serve in that body. So the voters in Illinois, will get a good look tonight along with the rest of the country at this rising star in the Democratic party. Howard Dean is also speaking tonight, and if he doesn't let out an impassioned scream at the end of his speech, he doesn't have a hair on his ass! I think it would be great to poke a little fun at his famous screeching punctuation after his disapointing showing in the New Hamshire primary. Regardless, I'm sure there will be a few surprises tonight, after all Terasa is speaking, and you never know what she's going to say. And for the love of God, please don't mis-quote her, she'll bite your head off man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home