Thursday, July 15, 2004

Honkey Tonks & Donkey Dicks

The weekend really kicks off in Memphis on Thursday.  At least during the warm summer months.   I was walking back to my apartment tonight around 11pm and as I was crossing the street, I could over hear the conversation between this redkneck pick-up driving dude, and these 20 something, slightly tipsy chics.
Hey, where y'all going?
Haaooommme. 
Am I following ya?
If you wont.
This kind of flirting is cool in Memphis, as it is in a lot of the dirty south.  I've witnessed similar scenes in Atlanta and Nashville.  Can you imagine seeing that in New York or Chicago?  People are approachable here.  They want to talk to you and they want you to talk to them.  So the act of rolling down your window and striking up a conversation happens without the slightest hesitation.  I once raced up next to a car, gave a honk and an enthusiastic wave, thinking I knew this person only to find out; not the right person.  Actually, a complete stranger, but they waved back, albeit somewhat hesitantly but still they waved.  They waved, I think, because they knew I was sincere.  They knew I wasn't just fucking with them, that I really thought I knew them.  Or, they thought I recognized them from somewhere, and so as not to be rude, they waved.  Politeness is a big deal in the dirty south.   As well it should be. 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home