Monday, June 21, 2004

not a mousetrap, a mouse... inconvenience

Setting himself apart, he always built his entrance facing southwest. This afforded him a view of the farmers house and the nearby stables. And had the added effect of keeping the north wind out, which was a must in these parts of Ireland. He would burrow for hours at a time, adding rooms, widening corridors. He knew one day he'd start a family, and he wanted the best for them. He left nothing to chance. He was a very meticulous mouse.
A friend once asked the mouse, why do you build rooms for children you don't have yet? Because I plan to have them, and I want to be ready. But you don't even have a wife. I know, and after I finish building my house I will find one.
I will bring her here and we will live and we will start a family. All my days and months of preperation will have not been in vain. I will be the happiest mouse in the world.
But then the unthinkable happened. The mouse was sleeping, dreaming about his future family, when he was shaken violently out of bed. At first he thought, maybe an earthquake, but that would be unheard of around here. Then the walls started to collapse around him. He ran to what he thought was the exit only to have the corridor dissolve around him. He was covered. Covered in his own house, the ceilings, floors, and walls literally melted together. Nothing was left but loose dirt.
The mouse dug his way to the surface, only to find the farmer busily plowing up the land. Why have you done this! the mouse screamed.
I had no idea, the farmer explained. I didn't realize I was plowing under your house. I truly am sorry.
So the mouse explained to the farmer how he had destoyed his dream house and how now he would never be able to find a wife and start a family.
But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving forsight may be vain;
The best-laid schemes o'mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An'lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!
(Thanks Robert Burns, right back at you!)
I realize in the title he refers to the mouse as "her" but I have to come at it from the male perspective. Cause I don't understand "her".

5 Comments:

Blogger coup_d_tat said...

That is so sweet. I'm guessing Burns advised that planning ahead like that really is in vain, right? I can't read that crazy talk, but I'm in love w/the idea. I mean, really, what does, "Gang aft agley," mean?? You wrote the first part, right? That's your paraphrase? And I have to disagree, I think you know "her" better than you think you do.

11:45 PM  
Blogger RBP said...

I've always thought the tone was a little condescending towards the mouse. At the end the farmers like, well it sucks to be you now, but you're just a mouse, and you will forget this whole thing by tommorrow. I, on the other hand, will remember it and be troubled by it because I'm human. But I've always thought of it as totally ruining the mouse's life. I think the mouse will always remember it, and that's why I came up with that back story. To give people the mouse's perspective. And I guess that's why it's my favorite poem.

12:02 AM  
Blogger coup_d_tat said...

That's a fantastic exercise in creative writing, by the way. To re-write a story in another point of view. One can never get too much perspective on a good idea, no? Also, one should never have a favorite poem, there are too many.

1:34 AM  
Blogger coup_d_tat said...

it was my check card. they take those now.

12:18 AM  
Blogger 日月神教-任我行 said...

性愛自拍,美女寫真,亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,三級片,自拍,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性感影片,走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟,ut聊天室

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home