Saturday, August 07, 2004

A Tribute To The King

Well, there are those of us who can use the language, and then there is Shakespeare. I visited the Globe theatre today. One of the few attractions in London that actually cost money. I insisted on going, I don't know why excactly. I felt a need, to somehow acknowlege his contribution. His genius. The rebuilt Globe is as faithful to the original as possible. The only record that exist visually are all renditions of the outside. And records of other theatre's of that era. It felt good to be there. (or anywhere here for that matter)
They still perform Shakespeare's plays there. I would love to go see a performance, but my time is running short. I spend a lot of time, planning my next trip here. I have mastered the intricacies of the tube, and the National Rail. The stations here are as ubiquitous as the malls in America. Only much more utilitarian. Here are the stations I've been in: Victoria, Paddington, Waterloo, and Charring Cross. They are full of places to eat, and clothing shops. They also have plenty of restrooms and ATM's. (yep, your check card works just fine here, a little too good in my case.)
We also visited the Borough Street Market. This place was an open air market that had everything from French wines to fresh fish. There were also lots of places that prepared food for you fresh. I was tempted to try the chicken and mushroom pies, but just wasn't hungry enough. We ended up eating at this nice French restartant, called Cafe Rouge. When I saw it, I asked my gracious host, is that Cajun? Nope. They have French restaurants over here. Haven't seen any cajun, although I'm sure they are around.
Also visited the Tower of London today, and low and behold, the Tower Bridge was raised yet again, this time for a paddle wheel steamer called the Dixie Queen, yes, brought me right back home to Memphis!
I'm tired, so I don't really have time to go into last night, but I will say that there was no young Thai student within 1000 meters of where I was. Sorry to dissapoint. But, there were lot's of English girls about, all of them absolutely loving this American accent. Will write more later. Now, must have one more bourdon and coke.
All the world is indeed a stage! Shakespeare WAS right.

2 Comments:

Blogger justrose said...

:::green with envy:::

the only thing in this world that could get me on a plane is the prospect of seeing that theatre. It wasn't there the last time I was. That's awesome that you got to see it. Glad your check card works. Don't worry, it's not real money, it's too pretty.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Em said...

In honor of your trip I would like to play:
Towers of London by XTC off of "Black Sea"
Enjoyed your post

Enjoy:
DJ PRMommy

I love Shakespeare and am very interested in the conspiracy behind who he really was. If this was mentioned in your visit, please pass on the info this way
Thanks

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home