Sunday, October 24, 2004

The World Series Effect

It's taxachusetts versus the heartland. Red state versus blue state. John Kerry's Red Sox versus John Ashcroft's Cardinals. My problem is I really want John Ashcroft's team to win...the World Series that is. I'm such a freak about politics I wonder what effect the world series will have on the election.

If the Cardinals lose, will it spur such voter apathy in Missouri that most people won't even bother to vote Nov. 2nd, surpressing voter turn-out, and giving the republicans an even bigger edge in the show-me state. And will the people in Boston become so enamored celebrating the lifting of "the curse" that the election becomes secondary and some of them FORGET to go to the polls. And lets not forget that dubya knows a thing or two about baseball. If the election were decided on who was better at throwing out the ceremonial first pitch, Bush wins in a landslide.

Now that I think about it, that's an excellent reason to vote for John Kerry, so Mr.Bush can spend time doing the things he knows how to do; clearing brush, and watching baseball. I can hear Bush's phone call to the winning locker room at the end of the series now.

"I know everyone in that locker room made more than $200,000 last year. So y'all know who to vote for. Except for you guys who aren't you know...legal. That means you Manny Ramirez! But you can still donate to the GOP. I'm George Bush, and I approved of this World Series!"

Baseball is a great American institution, like rock&roll and Opra. So it almost seems natural to mix a little politics in with it. But if John Ashcroft sings "As The Eagle Soars" during the seventh inning stretch in game three in St Louis, I'll probably turn the channel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home